TELEPSYCHIATRY IN NEW YORK
GENOA HEALTHCARE TELEPSYCHIATRY IN NEW YORK
Who can be a telepsychiatrist for my clinic?
Psychiatrists & APRNs: Any psychiatrist (MD/DO) or Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) with a state license in New York can provide care via telepsychiatry.
How does reimbursement work for telepsychiatry in New York?
Each telepsychiatry session generates two billable codes:
- The standard CPT codes for outpatient, psychiatric services.
- An originating site facility fee (Q3014) that allows clinics to receive reimbursement for the use of the facility where telehealth services are rendered.
In addition to covering provider services at the same rate as in-person services, Medicaid also pays $25.76 per session as an originating site facility fee (Q3014) to cover onsite administrative costs in New York. Starting in 2019, OMH now allows telepsychiatry for ACT (Assertive Community Treatment) and PROS (Personalized Recovery Oriented Services) for 1 year and an additional optional year.
Clinics are eligible for Medicare reimbursement in New York if they are located in a HPSA (Health Professional Shortage Area).
There are two billing options for FQHC’s considering telepsychiatry:
- FQHC’s that have opted into Ambulatory Patient Group (APG) coverage can bill for the provider services at the same rate as in-person services.
- FQHC’s that have not opted into APG coverage can bill $65 per session as a facility fee (4012) to cover onsite administrative costs.
What tech does my clinic need?
Setting up telepsychiatry at your clinic is simple. The set up will require:
- A two-way video telecommunication system that allows for real-time communication between the provider and patient
- HIPAA-compliant video conferencing technology
UTILIZATION & PROGRAM SUSTAINABILITY
Utilization is the percentage of a telepsychiatrist’s time that is spent on reimbursable patient care. Tracking this number helps clinics understand the financial sustainability of telepsychiatry for their organization.
Download our Utilization Best Practices to learn more about how to ensure telepsychiatry is financially sustainable for your clinic.
READY TO GET STARTED?
Get in touch with a David Theobald on our Telepsychiatry Partnerships team to learn more about telepsychiatry in New York.