TELEPSYCHIATRY IN NEW YORK
GENOA TELEPSYCHIATRY IN NEW YORK
Who can be a telepsychiatrist for my clinic?
Psychiatrists & APRNs: Any psychiatrist (MD/DO) or Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) with a state license in New York can provide care via telepsychiatry.
How does reimbursement work for telepsychiatry in New York?
Each telepsychiatry session generates two billable codes:
- The standard CPT codes for outpatient, psychiatric services.
- An originating site facility fee (Q3014) that allows clinics to receive reimbursement for the use of the facility where telehealth services are rendered.
In addition to covering provider services at the same rate as in-person services, Medicaid also pays $25.76 per session as an originating site facility fee (Q3014) to cover onsite administrative costs in New York. Starting in 2019, OMH now allows telepsychiatry for ACT (Assertive Community Treatment) and PROS (Personalized Recovery Oriented Services) for 1 year and an additional optional year.
During the COVID public emergency, clinics billing for telehealth no longer need to be in a HPSA (Health Provider Shortage Area)
There are two billing options for FQHCs considering telepsychiatry:
- FQHCs can bill $92 per session as an encounter fee when the client is remote.
- FQHCs can bill $65 per session as a facility fee (4012) to cover onsite administrative costs when the client is on site.
What tech does my clinic need?
Setting up telepsychiatry at your clinic is simple. The set up will require:
- A two-way video telecommunication system that allows for real-time communication between the provider and patient
- HIPAA-compliant video conferencing technology
UTILIZATION & PROGRAM SUSTAINABILITY
Utilization is the percentage of a telepsychiatrist’s time that is spent on reimbursable patient care. Tracking this number helps clinics understand the financial sustainability of telepsychiatry for their organization.
Download our Utilization Best Practices to learn more about how to ensure telepsychiatry is financially sustainable for your clinic.
READY TO GET STARTED?
Get in touch with David Theobald on our Clinic Partnerships team to learn more about telepsychiatry in New York.